Well, we woke up to hard rains and didn't even bother going to Magnum. I called Ross and he was a bit disapointed, but still had about 20 hopeful people in his shop. The launch was once again canceled, so Phil and Mark headed back to NC while Ken dropped me off at home. A depressing weekend to have your plans fall apart, but as a backup, I had planned to attend the Whitakers, NC launch in two weeks, so arrangements will be made to hopefully have a TAP available for my launch then. We will keep you all up to date.


We all woke up and got ready to head to Magnum, where we meet before the launch. There were at least 20 guys in the shop when we arrived around 8:15am, but the weather was not cooperating. It rained all Friday nite into the morning and around 11am we stepped out of Magnum to see it appeared to be clearing. Everyone loaded up and we drove to the launch site about 10 minutes away. Unfortunately, it was way too muddy to get back to the field and the small creek that is usually 4-6" deep and 6 feet wide was a raging river at least 2 feet deep. The launch truck and SUV's usually traverse the creek, but not today. The launch was canceled.


My friend Ken showed up from North Carolina today and we packed the model, along with the required support equipment in his SUV, then headed up to see Ross at Magnum Rockets. My other two friends were already there, spending money and having fun at his shop. We left when he closed and headed to our sleeping quarters. When we got there, I did one more test fire of the rear ejection charge which went well. Hoping for good weather for the launch tomorrow.


The hardware was installed today; rail buttons, AeroPac 98mm retainer and a third railbutton were added since the clearcoat had time to dry and set overnite. Also, a couple more pressure holes were added in necessary spots. The model is now completed.


I finished the clearcoat. TopFlite Flat Clearcoat was used to get the job done; I like this clearcoat as is really toughens the skin, dries fast and is fuel proof, alcohol proof and nearly smudge proof and washes well when cleaning the rocket. Each section received 4 coats of clear and the decals were sealed well.


The rest of the decals were finished tonite. It took some time to get them all on as the waterslides were big and had to be handled carefully. After I was done, I just HAD to put it all together and get a perspective. Tomorrow I will clearcoat and the project will be nearly finished. Check out the new pics!


This morning I wetsanded the lower airframe, then applied three coats of Krylon Pewter Gray paint. Tonite I masked off the lower airframe areas and painted the stripes. The masking was removed and I applied some of the decals. More Pics.


Much was accomplished today. I sanded the lower section again, then applied more Krylon gray primer. Pinholes were filled with Everclear Formula 27 Filler and it was wetsanded again. White primer was applied and will be final sanded tomorrow. Also, I began applying decals to the Fore and Center sections. All decals were applied, which took some time, and it is really starting to look good. Pics can be viewed here.


Today I wetsanded the lower section of the airframe using 400 grit wet/dry. It was a major feat getting the rocket in the tub, but it just fit. I then applied a few more coats of gray primer and will follow up tomorrow with the final white primer. I also took the time to work on the center section. It was carefully masked off and the stripes were painted using Krylon paints. I usually use Testors, but this time I wanted complete compatibility and fast drying time. They came out really nice and with any luck, I should be able to apply my decals tomorrow. Speaking of which, my decals arrived. The graphics are in waterslide while the lettering is in vinyl. Tom at Tango Papa Decals did a great job on them; each one was measured for exact dimensions (I am anal like that) and they came out perfect! More to come...


The Center Section was wetsanded with 600 grit, then tac'ed and final color was applied. I moved on to the lower section and finished the sanding around the fin area, then tac'ed it and applied 2 coats of white primer, followed by two coats of gray. Tomorrow I will fill and wetsand it, then finish the priming.


Work was done on the Lower Section fins and I wound up sanding over half of it. More to come.


The center section was wetsanded once more, then I added 4 coats of White Krylon Primer. Pics were added.


I finished filling the fillets for the center section fins, then sanded them, which took some time and work to blend them in. Next, they were reprimed using Krylon Gray primer. They came out very nice and only required two small touch-ups.


The nosecone had a couple pinholes, so I filled them and re-painted. The Fore section was wetsanded with 600 grit, then I painted it with four coats of Krylon Pewter Gray paint. The masking tape was removed and it was left to dry.


Today I wetsanded the nosecone using 400 grit sandpaper. It came out smooth, so I tac'ed the surface and applied several coats of Krylon Flat White Paint. Flat paint is a bit thinner than glossy, so it took several coats to get the finish I wanted. Once done, I wetsanded the Fore Section, then tac'ed it and applied four more coats of Krylon White primer over the gray. Finally, I began filling the fillets on the center section in preparation for additional coats of primer. A few pics were added.


The nosecone was tacked with a tac rag then I applied five coats of Krylon White Primer. Also, I finished all the decals, uploaded the files and updated the associated pages.


I began priming tonite; the fore section received 3 coats of white primer, followed by three coats of gray. Next, I primed the center section using the same method.


Some light sanding was done on the center section and I added some filler at the seam on the upper section. Then I took a break and prepaired for painting, moving all the supplies I would need out of the hobby shop, then lining the shop from ceiling to floor and across the floor with plastic drop cloths. The fore and center sections were masked in tape to prepare them for priming.


Time was spent today doing some cleanup on the rockets I launched this last weekend, including the AMRAAM. I also did some final sanding on the center section, then drilled three altimeter vent holes an taped up the ends in preparation for primer. In addition, I updated the website in the "Decals" section and added the graphic decals, a lettering draft containing accurate characters for the model's lettering and I added the Dimension spreadsheet that shows location, size, color and more for each label, seam, screw and band.


It was a much better day for a ground test today. I preped the model with 4 grams of black powder to test the forward section/nosecone ejection. When it fired, it was more like a fizzle and the nosecone didn't move. The charge was reloaded, this time with 5 1/2 Grams of BP, shear pins were installed again and Jim German assisted by firing the charge while I took some pics. This time the nosecone section seperated and moved forward about 10 feet before it came to a stop. The pins sheared perfectly, but I am going to up the charge to 6 1/2 Grams and do a final test at Jim's home this weekend along with testing the lower section. Thanks go to Jim German for his assistance in hauling this beast around and helping with the test and thanks go to his wife for video taping the event. Pics were added.


Today was our VOA HPR launch, so I took the L3 out to give it some air! It was way too cold and windy to even attempt a seperation ground test, so I took some pics of the Rocket and the XXL Parachute from SkyAngle. The winds balooned the Parachute well for some good pictures ;it was a handful to just hold on and I am not a little guy! Pics were uploaded to the new "Finishing" section.


Vent holes were added today to the upper and lower chambers. In addition, I aligned the fins, then drilled six holes around the coupler area for the fore and aft sections and installed 2-56 nylon shear pins to test the fit.


The center fin fillets were sanded and the center section is now ready to be primed. Also, I mounted the nosecone, sanded the seam where it meets the fore body tube and primed the fore body tube with about four coats of Krylon White primer.


Tonite I glued the coupler into the upper body tube. This completes the construction of the airframe and leaves only sanding, priming and painting to be done. Also, I completed all of the "graphic" type decals from pics I took at the WPAFB Museum this last weekend. The lettering is next, but all screws, gears and labels are finished. I should be able to complete them in the next week or so, just in time to apply them to the rocket.


I only had a little time to sand one of the eight center fillets tonite. It is finished; only seven more to go.


The last wrap of glass cloth was added to the upper body tube this morning. When I got home, I removed the tape and sanded the ends, then matched it to the nosecone and center tube.


Tonite I added another wrap of 6oz glass cloth on the upper body tube. I used West Systems resin with 207 hardener and it came out well. Tomorrow I plan on doing the last wrap of glass cloth, prior to gluing in the upper coupler and bulkhead for the nosecone mount. This time I took some better pics of my glassing process for those who wanted to see; I anchor one edge of the cloth with CyA, then saturate the tube, wrap the cloth around and use a roller to saturate the outside. A squegee is used to remove the excess resin. Pics are located here.


The last two fin sides were glassed tonite and left to set up. This completes the fillets and glassing for the fins. I have decided to add another two wraps of glass cloth to the upper body tube, so I cut out a piece of cloth to do the first wrap.


Today I used epoxy to glue the upper bulkhead assembly to the top of the 20" long upper body tube coupler. The smaller bulkhead plate resides inside the top of the coupler while the top plate sits flush with the coupler. Also, my second Adept RAS2 Altimeter arrived today and will be vacumn tested later this week.


The next two sides of the lower fins were glassed using 4" wide strips of 6oz cloth and West Systems epoxy. They were left overnite to set.


No building was done yesterday as I had a club meeting last nite. Today I received the 48" long coupler tube from PML, so I cut the coupler to a length of 18 1/2" and sanded the edges. This long coupler was a last minute design change; I originally was going to install a 12" long coupler in the end of the upper body tube, with 6" of it extending out for connection to the center section. However, I realized that the main parachute would reside in this fore bodytube section and may hang on the inside lip of the coupler during deploy. I changed the design so the coupler runs the full length of the Fore Body Tube and extends out 6" for coupling to the center section. This allows the main parachute to reside in a smooth chamber with no ridges, thus eliminating the chance of a main hangup during deployment. The coupler was sanded on the outside where it will be epoxied into the Fore Body Tube and the body tube was also sanded in the coupler area for good epoxy purchase. More pics.


I began the evening by preparing the Aft fin area for fiberglassing. I sanded the fins and body tube using 60 grit metal sandpaper, then cut eight 4" wide strips of 6oz glass cloth to a length of 15" each. After mixing some West Epoxy, I glassed the area on the lower fins with two inches of cloth overlapping the fin and the other two inches overlapping the bodytube. Four of eight fins are complete at this time and the glass work is drying. Here are more pics.


Since all the plates were constructed yesterday, I started by using epoxy to glue the CR into the bottom of the nosecone. Additional epoxy was added inside the nosecone area for strength and I gave it time to set. The entire unit was assembled and checked for fit, then a few more pics were uploaded in the Fore Pics section.


The Fore section of the airframe was built today. I cut out the bulkhead that came with the PML nosecone and turned it into a centering ring. This is so I can access the nosecone area in case nose weight is needed. Next I made a bolt on plate to seal the nosecone and provide a method to fasten the nosecone to the airframe. Two bulkheads were drilled for the nosecone bolt, then epoxied together and the U-Bolt for the airframe was installed. I ordered a 48" x 7.5" coupler that will run the full length of the upper bodytube and interlock with the airframe bulkheads. More pics.


Today I finished pinning the lower airframe. I drilled pilot holes and cleaned them out, then drilled a slightly larger hole but not as deep. Epoxy was pressed into the holes and the pins were installed, then hammered into place. Then it was time for a roadtrip. I loaded up the rocket and drove over to one of my TAP's house. Gary Dickinson is a great guy and one very good resource; I am pleased to have him for one of my TAPs as he is very informative and helpful. Well, my airframe was nearly completed, minus a couple of bulkheads in the nosecone, so he gave it a good going over. After examining the model in detail, we assembled the whole thing in his living room and stood it up. Yes, I said living room! Thank goodness for his vaulted ceiling as the rocket just fit! He and I took a look and started to laugh a bit...this sucker is BIG!!! Needless to say, he signed off my Tripoli L3 sheet without hesitation; what a great day indeed!!! When I got home, I added fillets to the center fins using an epoxy and fiberglass mil mix. They need some sanding, then I can begin painting the center section. I also added a few more pics.


This morning began by glazing the bottom of the rocket. I mixed up some epoxy, then applied a thin coat to the bottom centering ring. Once this had set, I sanded the surface and slightly rounded the edges of the body tube and motor mount tube. Next, I marked and drilled the holes for my Aeropack 98mm Retainer. The threaded slugs were installed and the retainer was attached using the supplied bolts. I also checked the motor casing for a good fit. Finally, I had time to pin the center airframe. Finishing nails were cut to a length of 1". I drilled pilot holes just a bit shorter than the length of the nail so it would have a good bite into the wood, filled the holes with epoxy and inserted the nail "pins". They were hammered in flush and the extra epoxy was removed. New pics have been uploaded.


I began the morning by installing the lower rail button block. The inside surface was roughed up with some 60 grit sandpaper, then the block was epoxied in place and held using a 1/4" button bolt. Next, I added fillets to the rail block and applied a thick layer of epoxy to the inside lip of the airframe and motor mount. I also pre-wet the bottom centering ring and used AeroPoxy on the bottom of the fins, plates and rail block. The bottom CR was installed and the unit was left upright to set. Also, a coupler was split down the middle, then fit to the inside of the lower body tube coupler to "double" it up. Both the inner and outer couplers were sanded, then the inner coupler was epoxied inside the outer coupler for additional strength. Finally, pics were added to this site of the work performed.


Today I mixed up several batches of epoxy with West filler and BVM fiberglass mil and formed the inside fillets at all joints. Sixteen fillets were made to support the inner fin structure; the last set of four fillets are currently drying. Also, I cut the lower rail button support block from red Oak, then shaped it, drilled a center hole and installed a 1/4" blind nut, which was held in place with epoxy. The block will be installed in the morning.


The fins were glassed in place tonite. I ran cloth from the top inside of the fin, down and across half the space of the motor mount. Next, the eight support planks were installed. More pics were uploaded.


Tonite the final fin was installed and glued in place. The span on the fins really makes it look big! Also, I cut eight Pine slats for fin supports. They were cut to length, then cut lengthwise to fit between the inside body tube and the motor mount. Pics of the fins installation were uploaded to this site.


Tonited I finished sanding and shaping the last two fins. The third fin was installed and left to dry overnite.


The second fin was sanded and shaped, then glued in place.


I began the evening by sanding one of the main lower fins. The surface of the fin was roughed up using 100 grit sandpaper, then I used 60 grit to rough up the inside area that will reside between the body tube and motor mount. Also, I rounded the edges and tips for a more scale appearance and better paint adhesion. Finally, the fin was glued in place, aligned and left to dry.


Tonite it was time to glue the coupler into the front of the lower body tube. I sanded the inside of the body tube and the coupler's lower half with 80 grit, then mixed a fresh batch of West Systems Epoxy. The epoxy was spread thinly over the coupler, just enough to wet it well, and a thick layer was spread around the inside of the body tube. The coupler was installed, twisting it as I went in order to spread and evenly distribute the glue, then I installed the washers, lock washers and 3/8" stainless nuts to retain and support the coupler. The whole unit was left inverted so excess glue would fill the edges inside the bottom of the coupler. Once set, I assembled the three sections for the first time in order to get a perspective of size. Check here for new pics.


The Oak Support block for the rail button was sanded a bit more for a good fit, marked and a 1/4" hole for the rail button bolt was drilled through the center of the block. In addition, I drilled 4 small pilot holes for the blind nut so it wouldn't split the wood when installed. This afternoon my order from Magnum Rockets arrived and included the XXL Skyangle Cert 3 Parachute and D-Bag. I also received some 4" CR's, which will be use to build an upper RMS spacer to support the upper section of the motor casing. I have to say that the Skyangle parachute is BIG, but easily fit in the D-Bag and is only about 12" long when packed. This is one high quality parachute! Tonite I installed the blind nut, using epoxy to retain it, then I drilled a hole in the body tube for the rail button bolt. Epoxy was applied to the oak plate and body tube area and the plate was glued in place. I used the bolt to hold it in it's position until the epoxy set.


It was time to work on a support plate for the large upper rail button . I cut a piece of Oak to a dimension of 3" x 3 1/2". Next, the outside of the oak block was shaped to fit flush inside the body tube. the ends were tapered and it still requires some fitting. A center line was also drawn on the outside of the lower body tube to aid with positioning the hole for the rail button. Pics were added.


The Top Bulkhead/CR 4 was glassed to the body tube today using 6 oz fibeglass cloth and 207 resin. Also, I applied some "metal" epoxy to the 3/8" nuts so they won't move when the coupler and coupler bulkhead is installed. Pics were added.


Tonite I sanded the inside body tube and epoxied the CR 4/Top Bulkhead assembly over the wooden dowels. Additional epoxy was added to fill any gaps in the bulkhead to body tube joint. it was left to dry overnite and more pics were added.


The top of CR 3 was glassed to the inside of the body tube today and pics were added.


The Lower Body Tube was prepped today by sanding the inside surface for good glue purchase. I applied Epoxy to the motor mount CR 2 and 3 and to the inside of the body tube. then I inserted the mount into the tube so the mount was even with the bottom of the body tube and let the glue dry. A few pics were added of my support team and work performed.


Today the motor mount had alot of work done to it. CR 2 was glassed yesterday and today I epoxied and glassed CR 3 on both sides to the motor mount. Also, oak dowels were used for extra support; holes were drilled for the dowels in CR 3 and they were glued in place. Adjacent holes were drilled in the top CR 4 and the dowel assembly was held in place until it dried. CR 4 was removed and 3/8" holes were drilled in it for the stainless steel support rods. The main top bulkhead plates were glued together, then holes were drilled for them to align with CR 4. Stainless rods were attached to CR 4, then the ends were capped with epoxy. Also, holes were drilled in the Main top bulkhead and a 5/16" x 3" Stainless Steel U-Bolt was installed for shock cord attachment. Finally, this main top bulkhead was glued to the 7.5" coupler tube. Pics have been uploaded.


I began construction on the Lower Airframe Section today. the motor mount tube was prepped and sanded, then I laminated the two lower centerings to make a 1" thick ring. Next, I fit the ring inside the body tube and sanded the lower part of the fin slots for a perfect fit, flush with the top of the 1" CR. The lower CR and motor mount were removed and I temporarily taped the fins on to the motor mount and glued the upper CR flush with the top of the fins. The upper CR was then glassed to the motor mount for a strong joint. The remaining CR's were sanded for a good fit and then removed from the motor mount. Also, I laminated the very top centering ring with a 1/8" G10 fiberglass bulkhead and capped it with a ply bulkhead. Pics were added to the Lower Pics section.


The wiring harness for the ARM switches was made today. I used corrosive free silver wire and encased them in tubular Kevlar to fireproof them. Kevlar thread was used to secure the ends so they wouldn't fray and then they were capped with heatshrink tubing. Pics were added showing the work done.


Time was spent today on the Altimeter Bay. I drilled mounting holes for the second altimeter and installed the bolt posts. Also, I wired the entire bay and external "Arm" switch sockets. The sockets were pushed into a brass sleeve which was then filled with epoxy. This homemade socket assembly was glued into the bay sleeve, then wire ties were used to dress up the unit's wiring. I added pics to the Electronics section.


Today I started by cutting out the two holes in the Center body tube for the "Arm" switches. I used a exacto saw and a file to shape and fit them. There are a few pics of the switches here. Also, I began work on the electronics bay; The altimeter mounts were drilled and installed, then everything was fitted and wire runs were drilled. Finally, I added a new "Electronics" section to the photos, so check out the new pics.


My order from PML came today...including the pre-glassed and slotted Lower Body Tube and Lower Fins. In addition, I received the wiring harnesses I ordered from Adept for the altimeter bay. Some final touches were done on the center section; I glued a small fillet around the edge of the top deployment plate. Also, I removed the wing nuts and, using some Loktite, I installed the permanent lower washers, lock washers and stainless nuts. As a final touch, I capped the remaining threads with rubber boots for safety. Photos were added in the Center Pics section, along with a new photo of the Lower section parts that arrived.


Tonite I finished the installation of the 3/8" Stainless threaded support rods for the Deployment unit. The Deploy cartridge was inserted and bolted from the top to support the rods during the next step. Then, I mixed some West Systems Epoxy and 206 Slow Hardener and applied epoxy to the edge of the lower plate assembly, the 4" tube and inside body tube wall. Aeropoxy was used on the bottom of the fins, fillets and around the inside of the Body tube. It created a good fillet for the bottom plate assembly, which was installed next and bolted into place. Everything fit well and I took a break to update the Center Pics page with photos of the work that was completed.


I worked on the inside Canard Fin fillets yesterday and finished them tonite. The fillets were made from West Systems 30 minute epoxy with a dose of West 206 thickener and fiberglass Mil. In addition, I sealed the holes and added fillets to the inside of the top plate; the holes should be cleaned out by tonite. Also, I added a few more photos to the "Center Pics" section of the website showing completed fillets.


All four canard fins were glued to the deployment housing. Next, I cut 8 pieces of 1/4" pine to 12 inches in length, then cut 3 inch wide strips of 6oz glass cloth. One side of each wood strip had epoxy applied, then I soaked the cloth, placed it on the pine plank and glued one to the side of each fin. The glass cloth is wedged between the plank and fin and runs across half it's area of the center deploy housing tube. All eight sides of the fins were completed and the pine should add considerable strength to the inside fin joints. Tomorrow, I will add fillets to the inside area at all joints.


I began today by preping and gluing two of the canard fins; I should be able to finish the fins tomorrow and have them glassed inside the airframe. In addition, I have updated the "Reaearch" / Build Photos section in the "Center Pics" area with additional photos, so take a look.


My trip to Magnum was a good one, as always. Ross had my order ready; a 7.5" PML Fiberglass Nosecone, 150 feet of 5/8" Tubular Kevlar shockcord, a 7.5" G10 bulkhead plate and a B2 Rocketry Skyangle 24" CERT3 Drogue Chute. He ordered my Skyangle CERT3 XXLarge Main Parachute after I selected the colors, along with a matching XXLarge Skyangle Deployment Bag for the main. While I was there, I also picked up a Dr. Rocket 98mm RMS 10280 Motor System with closures and he is going to order the Dr. Rocket 98mm 7680 casing and will mail them when they arrive.


The lower pre-glassed body tube and lower fins were ordered from PML today. I also called Adept and ordered another RAS2 Altimeter for the redundant deployment unit. In addition, I opted to use an Aeropak 98mm Motor Retainer and ordered that from the manufacturer. Finally, I called Ross at Magnum Rockets and ordered the PML 7.5" Nosecone, 150 feet of 5/8" Tubular Kevlar, a B2 Large Deployment Bag and the B2 Rocketry XXLarge Skyangle Parachute, which will be custom colored. I will head up to Magnum this Saturday to pick up the goodies that arrive.


I am currently working on a fin jig, which will have to be done the old fashoned way since the fins are located 14" up from the bottom of the body tube. I picked up some cardboard stock for free from a craft house, which had some scrap pieces used for picture frames in the backroom.


Today the deployment unit's 4" outer tube was glued to the fore centering rings. The inside of the center body tube was sanded around the fin area, the fin slots were sanded and the formentioned deployment section was glued into the body tube. I used the bottom bulkhead deployment unit plates to hold the upper section in place and centered while the epoxy set. Finally, the fins were sanded and leading edges/tips were shaped.


It was a GREAT day today as my order from PML arrived!!! The parts for my other projects were seperated out of the order and I wound up will some killer L3 goodies that will keep me busy for a while. I received the pre-glassed and pre-slotted center body tube and the pre-cut slots were perfect. I also received the center "Canard" fins made from 1/8" G10, which were cut exactly to my specifications. In addition, I now have the 3.9" motor mount tube and all the centering rings, bulkheads and couplers I will need to complete the project. Check here for a pic of the "right stuff". >


I finished drilling out the deployment unit holes for the arm switch harness and built the sleeves for the connectors. The fore body tube was next; I cut the tube to 19" in length, then sanded the entire tube including the edges and sealed the edges with CyA. Once the ends were taped, the tube was mounted on a holder and 6oz glass cloth was tacked down with CyA. Next, I used West 207 finishing hardener to mix up a batch of epoxy and the cloth was glassed to the tube. A squegee was used to spread the resin, then to remove excess resin. Toilet paper on a roller was used afterwards to sop up any additional resin. A second wrap of cloth was tacked down overlapping the seam and it was glassed in the same manner as the first wrap. After it dried, The fore tube was trimmed and is now finished. Finally, new pictures for the Fore Section were added to the Build Photo's page.->


Well, I stopped at Magnum Rockets today for the launch, but it was canceled due to poor weather conditions. I did notice though that the time spent at Ross' shop is directly proportional to the ammount of money you spend, and I was there over three hours. I walked away with a 7.5" x 48" PML Body tube, of which 19" will be cut and glassed for the upper body tube section of this project.


I picked up the West 207 Hardener today, along with glass cloth and the rest of the items on the "Supplies" list. I also ordered the wiring harnesses I needed for the Altimeters, along with an extra memory chip. Construction will begin this weekend on the Deploy unit wiring after I attend the Goraj Tripoli Mid Ohio launch.


My order from Aerocon showed up today; I now have the "arming" switches I will be using for the altimeters. In addition, I figured out how I was going to wire them and seal the harness inside the deploy unit. Finally, luck was with me; in a time when Aerotech is in the mist of a rebuild, I found a M1419W certification reload!!! It is mine, paid for and on hold until the launch. What a great day!


The second rocket stand was completed today and both of them end-to-end take up about half the entire space in the workshop; these things are BIG!!! I'm hoping the PML order will arrive by Friday so I can begin construction on the center airframe this weekend. One package did show today; the solid wood ball for the Maverick nosecone, but that's on hold until the L3 is well under way. Also, I am still waiting for the West Systems 207-A hardener to show; the local shop had not received it from West as of yet. Finally, I began work on the scale decals for the project; the "Fill & Purge" bolt is done as well as the CG label.


The first of two rocket stands was constructed today. I used 1 1/2" Schedule 40 PVC, so it's a bit overkill, but very strong. I will place one stand under the front half and the second under the rear half when supporting the model. Some padding still needs to be placed on the upper arms, so I will be picking up some pads this week. With one stand built, I can use it for the construction of the first body tube, which should arrive soon. Go here for a few pics->


The website was updated today with the rest of the research pics I have on hand and a few build pics for the deploy unit. I still have a bunch of deploy pics to upload though. Also, I purchased the parts for the model's stand; alot of 1 1/2" PVC will be used to make a front and rear stand for the rocket. Finally, I purchased the rest of the misc parts and the 7.5" x 48" coupler tube was added to my PML order. I am having them cut it into 4 seperate 12" sections.


Today was a big day for me! Ordered the center 7.5" x 48" PML Pre-Glassed body tube, all the centering rings, bulkheads, 3.9" motor mount tube, custom G10 1/8" thick canard fins, deployment electronics switches and, while I was at it, a pre-slotted and cut 4" Quantum body tube for a scratch Maverick, of which I will use the extra piece to finish repairs on the 4" Harpoon. Also picked up 2 quarts of West Systems 105-A Epoxy, some hardener, pumps, gloves, denatured alcohol, the rest of the sandpaper I needed, some BVM Fiberglass Mil, mixing cups of various sizes, blank decal sheets, 3/8" stainless threaded rod and most of the hardware needed for the project. Now impatiently waiting for all the "goodies" to arrive.


Began collecting supplies for the project. Picked up all the paint I needed, along with some sandpaper and hardware.


Copies of my documentation were made and sent to my TAP, Kreig Williams, for Gary Dickinson and himself to keep as reference, per his request.


It turned out to be a great day! I took my deployment unit, along with my documentation package to our local TRA launch. Our prefect, who is also a TAP member, introduced me to a new local TAP member and both of them signed off on my pre-flight documentation, design and build. I just need to finish the construction of the airframe and launch.


The construction of the Dual Deployment Unit is complete. I took the unit to Whitakers, NC and the TAP member down there liked the design. I also showed him the majority of the documentation and it was satisfactory.


Design of the model is completed. I used RockSim 5.012 for the design work and everything is in order.


Began Construction of the Dual Deployment unit. It will house two Adept RAS2 altimeters and use Safe Eject EXP canisters for the charges. The unit will also act as a wedge for the canard fins on the model.


Began the Level 3 project, documentation and design. I have decided to model a full scale Amraam as this is one of my favorite military missiles of all time.